South Africa Bike Festival, powered by Discovery Channel, are thrilled to announce the first ever Custom Bike Show – “The South African Championship” as one of many features at the ALL NEW Kyalami Grand Prix Circuit on Friday 27 May to Sunday 29 May 2016.
Alongside Live Music, The VIP Pit-Roof Village, Kid’s Action, Scooters & Commuters and Adventure areas at this year’s festival, the Custom Bike Show feature will be led by our favourite TV presenters from The Bike Show, Mat Durrans and Harry Fisher over the festival weekend, alongside prize sponsors, Mars Helmets.
For those unfamiliar with the custom world, the definition of custom and of the noun ‘chopper’ is a type of motorcycle that has been modified from an original motorcycle design (“chopped”) or built from scratch to have a unique and individualized appearance. There will be a dedicated area at this year’s festival showcasing the latest and greatest custom motorcycles from all over South Africa.
All those who are passionate about motorbikes and pride themselves on breathing life back into the machines of the past are encouraged to fine-tune their latest projects in time for the first public event at the newly refurbished Kyalami in May 2016. From die-hard fans to the merely curious, visitors will no doubt leave the festival with an intense appreciation for this passionate industry. Organisers have already seen a tremendous swell of support shown by the custom chopper bike builders in South Africa and plan to showcase the short-list in early April on the festival website, as well as feature the owners and motorcycles on the The Bike Show on DSTV channel 189.
Chief Judge and Show-master for the championship at the festival is internationally known master-builder, Mario Kyprianides. Mario, born in Cyprus, is the owner and master-builder of Chopper Kulture, based in Germany and Abu Dhabi. His talent for motorcycle building was inherited from his late grandfather who, during the 50s and 60s, built Harleys, Indians, Triumphs as well as BSA’s. His father is also a skilled mechanic, and so throughout Mario’s life he was constantly exposed to the world of engines, oil and dirty fingernails! Mario continues in his grandfather’s legacy by becoming one of the most elite and sought-after builders in the world and we are privileged to have him at South Africa Bike Festival 2016!
Mario has been featured in a plethora of motorcycle magazines globally along with winning the AMD, Rat’s Hole and other US and European shows and earning prestigious titles such as “European Champion” several times, “World Champion” in the US 2011, “Biker Build Off Champion” and a collection of other prestigious achievements. Mario currently is an IMBBA certified Judge and holds the highest rank of “Master Bike Builder Level II” as well as being a member of several European Engineering councils. Among Mario’s many accomplishments, the Bike’s “Courtesan”, “Blue Rose” & “Just Add Violence” “Dominatrix” have turned heads and received recognition among builders and spectators from around the globe.
When asked about what advice he would give our custom builders, he jokes “I’m a sucker for detail so if it isn’t right it isn’t finished!.” He then adds “I can’t wait to see what South Africa has to offer in the way of custom bike builders and I’m looking forward to a few laps around this world-standard circuit we’ve heard so much about overseas.”
The categories for the Custom Bike Show -“The South African championship” for 2016 include a Vintage Class for every motorcycle before 1985, 3-Wheeler Class, Sports-bike Class (Best Sportsbike with fairing and stock swingarm), Radical Sportsbike, Streetfighter Class (Best Sportsbike without fairing), Stock Metric and European, Stock US V- Twin, Touring Class (Best Touring bike Japanese, German and more), Radical Custom Class (Every custom-made motorcycle with aftermarket frame and/or engine). For a full list of categories, how to enter and what can be won, custom builders can visit:
Bikes entered into each category will be notified in advance as to whether they have been pre-selected for the championship and will receive 2 free tickets to each day of the festival to the value of R1140. Registration will take place on Friday, 27 May 2016, judging will take place on Saturday, 28 May 2016 and prize giving will commence on Sunday, 29 May 2016 on the main stage prior to the live music starting. Mat and Harry will also introduce and interview Mario each day of the festival and all three will be on hand for autographs and photographs throughout the weekend.
Those who want to be part of the action can book their tickets today at www.southafricabikefestival.com / iTickets.co.za or by calling the iTickets hotline 086 1000 291, and more information can be found on the social media channels; facebook.com/sabikefestival // twitter.com/SA_Bike_Fest // instagram.com/sabikefestival #southafricabikefestival
Friday, 27 May: 11h00-21h00
Saturday, 28 May: 10h00-21h00
Sunday, 29 May: 09h00-17h00
Special ticket offer: 25% off all tickets from 1st March to 30th April. Use promo code CUSTOM25 when booking online at www.southafricabikefestival.com
|KIDS UNDER 12||STANDARD ADVANCE||STANDARD FAMILY (2 Adults + 2 Teens)||VIP PIT ROOF VILLAGE||MULTI-PASS||SUNDAY’S CHARITY RIDE
|FREE||R190pp||R600||R950pp||Save R65 (call 086 1000 291)||R20pp|
All tickets include:
- Pedestrian and on-site bike park access within the Kyalami Grand Prix Circuit ground
- Leading Manufacturer Displays and Pit Garages, Accessories Hall, Custom Bike Build Championship
- Live Music and Entertainment Stage
- Scooters & Commuters, Bike Action, Stunts and Jumps plus Off-Road & Adventure features
- Kids Adventure Zone and Riding School
- Food, Booze, Grooming & Tattoos showcasing the very best that South Africa has to offer as well as “Eat Street”, “Ladies Indulgence” and “Pride of Ownership Classic Display and Whiskey Tasting Viewing Deck”
Full list of Custom Bike Show categories:
- Vintage Class: Every Motorcycle before 1985
- 3 Wheeler Class: All 3 wheelers
- Sportsbike Class :* Best Sportsbike with fairing and stock swingarm
- Radical Sportsbike: Every Sportsbike with radical modified frame or swingarm
- Streetfighter Class: Best Sportsbike without fairing
- Stock Metric and European: * Every Metric and European bike with stock frame and engine
- Stock US V- Twin: * Every US bike with stock frame and engine (Harley-Davidson, Victory, Indian)
- Touring Class: * Best Touring bike (Japanese, German and more)
- Sportster Class
- Custom Touring Class: Every Touring or Touring Style Bike with 26″ Up or Neck modification or aftermarket frame
- Custom V-Twin Class: Best Modified V- Twin with aftermarket frame (All Brands)
- Radical Custom Class: Every custom-made motorcycle with aftermarket frame and/or engine
*No Neck modification allowed
The judging criteria is:
- Overall harmony
- Finish (all over)
- Metalwork/or Plastic work
- Chrome or polishing
- Self-made ideas
- Technique / driveability
- Self-made or aftermarket parts. (Number of modifications and harmony)
- Technical and style innovation (frame, engine, suspension, brakes)
- Damages from driving on frame or paint is ok
Rules and Regulations:
- Every bike has to run
- Bigger Wheels, aftermarket forks and swing-arm modifications are allowed in the stock classes
- Classes will be checked at the registration
- Winners must be present 15 minutes prior to the prize giving ceremony to line up in presentation order
- Class will be checked at registration. The chief judge can change classes in case of engine and frame modifications
- Class will be checked at the registration. The chief judge can change classes in case of engine and frame modifications.
- All bikes need to be registered and in place before the show opens on Friday, 27 May 2016 and must remain in place until the show closes on Sunday afternoon (29 May 2016) so that everyone can enjoy them
- If you want, you can remove your custom bike in the evenings when the festival closes or place it in a designated Pit Garage, but you’ll need to have it back on display on Saturday and Sunday morning before 9am, otherwise you won’t be eligible for the competition results.