Motoring journalist wishes bikers break their necks

In an unfortunate incident of road rage yesterday, A biker was shot and killed in Honeydew, Johannesburg South Africa. Although I will not comment on the incident myself as I don’t have enough information around the circumstances, I will however comment on a rather intellectually challenged individual named Thegandra Naidoo. https://www.facebook.com/thegandra.naidoo?fref=ts

Roadrage

1185570_724453694247602_58895216_n

Thegandra Naidoo is a motoring journalist here in South Africa who works for a magazine called ABR automotive business review and a web based radio program called BizRadio and this is what he had to say about the road rage incident that cost the life of a motorcyclist:

thegandra naidoo comments

Now Mr Thegandra, firstly you have to be a bit thick in the head to make generalizations such as that. Secondly, you are wishing for motorcyclists to break their necks, yet you are a motoring journalist? Wow. You claim to have started your motoring journalism career as a motorsport photographer. Did you by any chance take pictures of professional motorcycle racing? If you did photograph motorcycles maybe you would have seen the talent that the riders have, not to mention the bravery. Maybe you would admire the machinery and come to understand why millions of people around the world purchase motorcycles. Are we ALL obnoxious? Is Valentino Rossi obnoxious? The Harley owners group? The Doctor and father of 3 admiring South Africa’s countryside on his GS? No I think the only person who is obnoxious and arrogant here is you my friend.

I would have expected comments like yours to arise on the internet from some 155kg troll who lives in his moms basement and stuffs down Doritos all day long. But these comments have come from someone who is a ‘motoring journalist’? I am shocked, and I am not the only one as can be seen on various social networks such as Ignition TV’s Facebook page.

We could get really nasty here but listen up… You can apologize to the family of the deceased and retract your small-minded comments, or you can carry on living your pathetic hate-filled life. I think I am safe in saying you have deeply offended the biking community, and that is one community I would not want to offend.

road rage incident jhb

I am only getting started here so let me just take a break and give you a chance to respond then we can move forward from there.

Tick Tock Thegandra, we are waiting to hear what you have to say…

If you would like to raise your concerns on this issue we recommend contacting the publication for which he works for, or contacting the South African Guild of motoring journalists (SAGMJ).

Update

Thegandra Naidoo’s letter of apology received today (16/02/2014):

‘Dear bikers,

In light of my insensitive comments made about bikers, I wish to apologise to all motorcycle owners in South Africa.

My comments were unwarranted and I did not consider that a large number of people commute on motorcycles and motorists, too, pose a threat to their livelihood on a daily basis.

I understand that all bikers are infuriated at my Facebook post. Rightfully so, they have every reason to do so. While we cannot change what has been done, I publicly apologise to everyone that I have offended.

I have already posted an apology note on my Facebook and Twitter and I will continue to do so via the various websites, forums and channels.

I am hoping we can resolve this matter amicably and bring the matter to closure. I also do sympathise with the family who lost their loved one in the shooting along Malibongwe Drive. May his soul rest in peace.

If any biker wants to contact me, they are welcome to send me an email –thegandra@worxgroup.co.za or via telephone – 071 867 8141.

Regards,

Thegandra Naidoo’

Update

Automotive Business Review statement received (17/02/2014):

I shall be conducting a full investigation into this incident, and hope to come to a decision about Mr Naidoo’s future participation in Automotive Business Review (aBr) within a couple of days. I wish to make this decision in the cold light of day, rather than from my current emotional perspective, because I myself have a daughter and son-in-law who are bikers.

In the interim, I wish to apologise unreservedly to the family of Mr Pearce, a husband, a son, and a father who was needlessly killed in a road rage incident; the entire biking community of South Africa; the South African Guild of Motoring Journalists; our valued clients and customers and members of the public.

I also wish to make it quite clear that Automotive Business Review, and its entire staff complement, distance ourselves entirely and without reserve from the comments made by Mr Naidoo. aBr finds his comments repulsive, unprofessional, and extremely distressing. It is a clear sign of emotional immaturity, which shall be taken into consideration when considering Mr Naidoo’s future. The team at aBr wish to express our sincerest regret at the situation, and we shall endeavour to find ways to atone for the sins of Mr Naidoo.

Yours sincerely,

Graham Erasmus

Publisher, Automotive Business Review

Monday 17 February 2014

09h00

Update

Automotive Business Review statement recieved (18/02/2014):

Yesterday I announced that I would come to decision about Mr Thegandra Naidoo’s future at Automotive Business Review (aBr). After a day of reflection and consultation, and further investigation into the events around a most unfortunate and acrimonious exchange of views on social media, a decision has been taken.

Mr Naidoo has today, with immediate effect, left the employ of aBr. The decision was taken in the cold light of day, and many factors had to be considered in taking this decision, not least of which were the many death threats received, but of course the key determination was based on the unacceptable nature of the comments made, irrespective of the circumstances, of which I shall expand on in an editorial to be published in the next issue of aBr.

I wish to once again apologise unreservedly to the family of Mr Pearce; the entire biking community of South Africa; the South African Guild of Motoring Journalists; our valued clients and customers and members of the public.

I also wish to reiterate that aBr and its staff distance ourselves entirely and without reserve from the comments made by Mr Naidoo, and that we, notwithstanding that Mr Naidoo has now left our employ, are investigating opportunities to make something good out of a terrible set of circumstances, and to show our goodwill towards all motorists.

Yours sincerely,

Graham Erasmus

Publisher, Automotive Business Review

Tuesday 18 February 2014

08h30

Update

SAGMJ update received (21/02/2014):

In light of the extraordinary response to recent comments made by Mr. Thegandra Naidoo, it was decided at the most recent meeting of the Guild Committee to temporarily suspend Mr. Naidoo’s membership to the South African Guild of Motoring Journalists, pending the outcome of a disciplinary process as prescribed by the SAGMJ constitution. The temporary suspension commences with immediate effect.

Issued by the SA Guild of Motoring Journalists

Advertisements

242 thoughts on “Motoring journalist wishes bikers break their necks

1. Alison says:

There were a few posts on SAGMJ’s facebook page this morning – I notice they have been removed by SAGMJ… Nice One – leaves a bad taste

2. Greg says:

Forget about this small minded prick, never will he know the pleasure of riding a bike on a twisty road, just you and the throttle. His comments will fall on a minute portion of readers who will agree, mostly out of jealousy because they lack the level of control to ride a 2 wheeled machine. The rest will chastise him.
    Enjoy your air conditioning recirculating the kak you talk…hope the Guild expels you.

3. Christo Evangelou says:

Nice rant, but let’s clarify the details. He thinks we are obnoxious and arrogant, I’m not sure he’s wrong and your reply adds fuel to his argument. In traffic, very few individuals I have encountered drive/ride with a ‘safety’ first attitude. So look at the root of the comment, understand that many people would agree with him, then use this tragic incident to promote safer riding techniques. As a journalist he could be brought to book on his comments as they are irresponsible and potentially reckless. I in no way condone his childish comment, but please do not generalise by including me (as a motorcyclist who commutes daily come rain or sun) in your reply that also contains the veiled threat of violence. I am entirely about safety and enjoying our vehicles to the fullest. I spend every day committed to helping individuals towards those two goals, so perhaps the three of us could meet and figure out how to gain a little good from all this.

1. jozirides says:

100% Christo. Well said. I think a rant has a purpose in that it will bring attention to the situation quicker. Despite the aggressive tone, we all know that’s not the solution.

4. Nick says:

What a moron, I’m sure he’s one of those useless f#cks that doesn’t care about motorcyclists on the road and uses his mirrors to look at his ugly charro face

1. Cliff says:

If thegandra is in an airconditioned car then he qualifies to be a “coolie” 🙂 but due to his generalised comment he is uniquely a coke can dropped and opened that has fizzed all over the place leaving a sticky mess :), I will never buy any magazine or support anything this empty can is part of. Hope his boss grants him his karma.

5. Paula says:

Asshole he thinks hes a journalist nogal motoring lol karma yiur daughter or son will ride a bike and break their necks because of a prick who thinks like you maybe as he thinks like you your daughter/son deserved it? Lets turn up in necks at this little insignificant pricks house like we do for a toy run demanding an apology in old style. He’s not even worth the time.

6. thomas says:

never wish bad on people there’s something called calmer it will come back to you.
    I am a true biker my only mode of transport is a bike sense I started riding people I meet etc is cool biking is a brother hood what ever we ride what ever we do we have one thing In common these cool things called bike. biking code we help all bikers no matter what.

7. Jay says:

Just for the record you fucking self absorbed little prick !! I have lost three very close friends on motorcycles, in all the incidents, the motorists were at fault, and they all three broke their necks !! The wheel turns asswipe, whether it’s two wheels or four, and you’ll get yours !

8. gary says:

motorcyclists are just like car drivers you do get the idiots but they are the minority u get idiots in all walks of life but to say that about motor cyclists is a bit unfair.

9. Janet says:

Mr Thegandra, clearly you have to have respect to be able to speak with respect. EVERYONE has a right to our roads no matter what they drive. Just for one day, get on a bike, ride and then comment again. YOU owe the family of the deceased a huge apology and to the entire biking community. Gosh beware what you wish for, KARMA is a B1TCH!!!

10. GAVIN STOPFORTH says:

I Big Biked for 28 years and attended over 70 Rallies all over South Africa. I was involved in 7 Bike accidents, whereby on my part, it was not because of speed or alcohol. In all 7 accidents the motorist was to blame, but I NEVER WISHED bad on them, let alone wished that they would break their necks. So you little pea brained retard, if you have never been hit by a car on a bike, you have no idea what the Frik you are talking about. I suggest you stick to reading Archie Comics.

11. ayesha says:

Wat an idiot! U put indians to shame with your miserable small minded way of thinking. How do you know if a bike could be the only mode of transport for someone. Fucking idiot. U living in the dark ages. Shame on u. Wat goes around comes around. Hope u get fired. Motoring journalist my foot

12. Kevon says:

You pissed off a lot of us bikers with your bullshit messages dude. My condolences with the biker that lost his life. May your soul rest in peace brother

13. Imogen holland says:

The bottom line is that someone educated in the field and whose career is based on a passion for Motorsports has made a statement so inhumane he should be thrown into a jail cell for intent to kill.

Regardless of his background he has not even taken the time to consider the biker’s family and how they must be feeling. If the rage incident happened between two guys in cars the facts would still be the same- a life was lost.

14. Graeme says:

The man killed in this tragic event was a dear friend of mine. Everyone is trying to come up with their own ideas as to exactly what happened. Only ballistics reports and a full investigation will reveal the truth.

He leaves behind a beautiful 4 year old daughter and a stunning wife, not to mention his family and huge network of friends.

Doug would always bring the life to the party and was cherished and loved by all.

You sir have not only pissed off the biking community but also a huge group of people who cared for this man. You are a heartless bastard, and frankly should be fired and never allowed to publish another article ever again.

You better also prey that you Don’t have the unfortunate situation of bumping into one of us.

You owe Doug’s family and the biking community one serious apology. Just remember karma is a bitch, it will come back to bite you.

Doug you will forever remain in my thoughts, heart and soul RIP my brother. We love you.

1. jozirides says:

Thank you for your comment, this is a tragedy and we are so sorry for his family’s loss. We hope justice is served and responsibility is taken for those inconsiderate words spoken.

2. TREE HUGGER says:

I endorse your comments re this insensitive arrogant ……… ! Condolences and sympathies to the deceased’s friends, family and loved ones.

15. hannes says:

You get great bike riders and you get idiots….you get great motor car drivers and you get asholes!!
    so this time around, maybe two idiots met……..
    you don’t get of your bike and assault anyone, no matter how stupid he/she drives…and you dint shoot one in the back, both equally responsible for this bad turn of events!!

and then.. you get journalists………..

16. Neville Puttergill says:

Can someone Please take him for a nice fast paced ride on an R1 or GSXR……. pop a wheelie at 180km/h and see how Mr T. Naidoo feels then…the excitement and adrenalin. Clearly he has not lost a close one or a friend to 2 Wheels. i personally have lost mates to motor cycling accidents and quite a few of them were due to cars not being familiar with their surroundings. This article and comment was done in very poor taste.

17. Colin Hein says:

I am shocked, appalled and outraged by the comments you have made about ‘Bikers!’
    Have you ever ridden a motorbike? Do you know how many times a week people in cars/SUV/trucks/mini-busses etc. don’t adhere to the rules of the road when it comes to me on my motorbike and almost cause an accident? We are given right of way at traffic circles, 4 way stops, etc. I won’t even mention that they don’t check their blind spot when changing lanes! But NO, according to you, it is our fault for riding a bike and you want to kill us, because we are ‘Arrogant’, what does that make you, a Saint? Who is being Arrogant here? I challenge you to ride a motorbike in rush hour traffic for a week and see what we as bikers have to do to stay alive and avoid injury from you ‘law abiding’ car drivers! ? We don’t want any special treatment, just that the rules of the road get applied to us too.
    Colin Hein

18. Deon Viljoen says:

If the magazine and radio station this uneducated moron work for had any integrity they would fire this bastard unconditionally and the biking fraternity should lay a charge of hate speech against it (yes I say it because no human being would say idiotic things like this). And yes, I am a biker and proud to be a part of this family.

19. JohanM says:

I don’t usually comment on stories like this but I have to add to something that has been said..

I notice that out of all the comments only one person, that is Gary, has bottom lined the issue. The majority of bike and car drivers are sensible and safe. It’s the minority that cause the trouble. However due to the minority, everyone gets tarred with the same brush.

I seem to have had more than my fair share of idiotic bike riders almost riding into me, had 2 start beating their fists on my car (I was changing lanes and “cut” them off) an so on.

However, just because I’ve had these experiences doesn’t mean I wish any of them to come to harm. Ok maybe there is one.. But my point is.. Whatever your personal opinion… If you are someone who is a public figure (giving this Thegandra Naidoo the benefit of the doubt on that) then you had better be very careful about being negative and making such comments as he did.

I wish the family of this biker strength through this time and I know that his friends will be there for the family to help

20. blokkies says:

Hope you know what you have done . There. Is different type of. Clubs you pissed all off with you’re remark I recon you should be very carefull in thew future some one might get hurt

21. Chris.leesmith@yahoo.com says:

I have broken my neck and this kind of injury changes you life instantly!!!!!
    i would not wish this injury on my worst enemy! i think you should apologize for you stupid comment or may be a few bikers should teach you a lesson

22. Adrian Van Der Merwe says:

Herewith Mr. Naidoo’s letter:

Dear bikers,

Regards,
    Thegandra Naidoo”

1. Deon Joubert says:

I also sympathize with you sir it must be horrible to have a little 1″ willy That however is no reason to be the worlds biggest a/h I really hope we bump into each other at some stage I will not forget your pretty little picture

23. Paul Blinaux says:

“Not only are you Thegandra Naidoo an out and out complete arse-hole of note….but you’re also a bull-shitter! There is NO note whatsoever of an apology posted on your Facebook page!! Over and above that…..all your colleagues email addresses at ABR (Automotive Business Review) are blocked from receiving emails about your despicable journalism tactics!! And now all you are trying to do….is clearly protect your grubby little arse and your job and reputation as a motoring journalist!!

If Graham Erasmus Tel: 083 709 8184 Email: bigheart@iafrica.com the Publishing Editor at ABR and the management Marlene Erasmus Tel: 082 837 2668 Email: bigheart2@iafrica.com General Manager don’t fire your sorry arse, then I respectfully request that everyone who strongly feels that Thegandra Naidoo….has crossed the line as a Motoring Journalist….put serious pressure on having him removed from his position!!

Over and above placing pressure on ABR to do what is morally correct by removing Naidoo from his position at ABR….I openly request that NO further publications going forward accept any form of journalistic articles from the said Mr Thegandra Naidoo.

And….in closing if you at least have one operating brain cell….you are not welcome going forward at any venue being participated by any bike group, forum or biking event!! Stay away Naidoo!! Unfortunately idiots like you in South Africa, who have even less of a brain cell than you, will now carry out your dumb, stupid and outright pathetic comments and believe that’s cool!!

You’re an embarrassment to motoring journalism and hopefully your now EX motoring journalistic colleagues!!

Have the balls Thegandra Naidoo to resign!!

24. Peter says:

What a stupid insensitive remark until someone in his family is killed by a vehicle and they on a bike.His apology is certianly a bit late ib coming as those words are serious and meant from that mouth

25. Mike says:

I am not a biker, although I cannot wait to get my Harley. Does that mean I too must die and the thousands of people that use bikes, bicycles etc to commute to work because we have no decent transport system and a petrol price that is sky rocketing. How can anyone wish anyone death?. Its someones son, father and husband. In a country where death, murder and rape have become a norm, now we have a so called journalist wishing for more. I DO NOT accept his apology and I am sure that Doug’s grieving wife, 4 year old child, family and friends do NOT accept it either. He should be fired and NEVER be allowed to call himself a journalist again. I wish him a long life, but remind him that what you will on others WILL happen to you. What an idiot.

26. Shaun Blackmore-Reed says:

100 % Mike, I was going to say the same thing. The problem with this particularly special brand of fool is that he used his platform to promote- let’s call it what it is- hate speech. If, as Dougie’s friends we avenged him by opening up a can of whoop on his sorry ass, it would serve no purpose other than turning him into a greasy spot. The real problem here is his audience of 1000’s who’ve gotten a jaded, ignorant and particularly hateful serving of propaganda. He needs to make right by not just doing the politically correct cop-out apology, (who wouldn’t be squealing sorry sorry so sorry with the entire biking community out to get you) but by using his employers and guilds platform to spearhead a frankly enormous awareness campaign aimed at motorists and bikers. Failure of his employers to grant him that right of atonement would be an indictment on their complicity in this, lest they wish to publicly admonish him of course. I’d love to see him squirm a bit- but only as a result of peer pressure and not because one of us had his balls in a vice.

27. Wayne says:

Thegandra Naidoo you are a complete usless cunt, I hope to god I do not ever run into you ever or ill snap your fucking neck. You better find a new job and fucking soon mate. I will not support the company you work for or purchase anything from any company and I will forward your comment made to every single boss you work for. You wana wish bad upon us bikers we will get our day. I think I speak on behalf of all bikers here.

28. dominic says:

what i can see from this pic is a small boy who needs to be shown how to respect a biker.MR NAIDOO one thing you have not been told is that bikers are one big family.When u buy your first bike you have joined an international family.Just some sad news for you my friend”you have just called for a gud hiding from real men”one your father never gave you when u whr a little boy”

29. Menno says:

Bikers open their hearts to many charitable causes, they are not going to like the cause you want to open your car door to!! Jy moet laag le Laaitie!!!!!!

30. Roy says:

Mr Naidoo, was out of line with his comments, He has apologized for what he said, this helps, but one still knows what he really thinks and feels.
    However I to am a biker, and at the moment am feeling rather ashamed of been one, when one reads some of the brainless and threatening responses to his apology.
    Mr Naidoo and others please remember that not all Bikers are lowdown, ruffians. In fact most of us are decent well bred folk. In fact the vast majority of us are.
    I an sure that a lot of you non bikers after reading some of these replies, Now dislike bikers even more than you did half an hour ago.
    BUT PLEASE remember next time you feel like messing a biker around in traffic, He is more than likely to be a decent person, and not some half brained lowdown on a bike.

31. Ponti says:

What a pity this twit chose the wrong soap box!

Personally I make a point of looking out for bikers to allow them passage, at least they’re willing to run the gauntlet to alleviate congestion! However, just like rude german-car-drivers and various others, you too get individuals on two wheels who should rather be behind bars. And the trend is going towards these not-so-powerful snot-seperator drivers who insist on weaving through at the traffic lights then holding up the traffic when the light goes green. But once again, only certain ones.

So mr. reporter, did you see any generalisation or death wishes in what I said? No! Did I have my rant? Yes!

Choose your words carefully, a belated apology sounds like your job’s on the line, and not sincere at all. I don’t believe in mob justice but I do believe you owe the biking community a debt of service.

32. Johann van Tonder (Trailrider) says:

I am a biker. I am also a motoring journalist and brought this matter to the attention of the Secretary of the SA Guild of Motoring Journalists (SAGMJ). I was told that the executive management of the SAGMJ apparently has already spoken to each other about this matter and that an urgent disciplinary hearing will still be held in this coming week to swiftly deal with this. An official statement will also be published tomorrow on the Guild’s Facebook in which the Guild that is very road safety conscious as their members spend a large part of their time daily on the road to test cars, will stressed that they do not condone these sentiments at all.

1. Paul Blinaux says:

So Thegandra Naidoo is just going to get a little slap on his grubby little arse from the SAGMJ!! That’s bull-shit and everyone knows it!! If the SAGMJ has any Balls at all……Thegandra Naidoo should be banned from the SAGMJ for a minimum of 5 years to a life time ban!!

There are clearly a lot of people who are going to take Naidoo out……..he’s going to get hurt, that writing is clearly on the wall for all to see. Is this just going to be yet another ‘Zuma’ type cover up……..as South Africans, we’re sick of the easy road being taken by Authoritative Organisations who actually don’t have the Balls to take any form of stern action when it’s required! As an official representative body of motoring Journalists…….I openly challenge you to have the Balls!!

If Motoring Publications had any Balls….they would ALL stand together as one and chastise this ‘creep’! And if Advertisers had any Balls they’d pull ALL their Advertising support from ABR (Automotive Business review) and Biz radio with immediate effect …….unless Thegandra Naidoo is removed immediately!!

Naidoos request that ……”I am hoping we can resolve this matter amicably and bring the matter to closure.” Clearly shows the outright arrogance of this ‘weasel’……let’s not refer to him as a man and his belief that his pathetic apology……which was clearly written to try and save his sorry little grubby arse from being fired, has backfired on him!!

Thegandra Naidoo had better say a pray that NO idiot now opens his door in the traffic, just because he believes that’s it’s ‘smart-arse’ and acceptable now to teach bikers a lesson!!

The coming days will tell whether this matter will really be taken seriously….or desperately swept under the carpet!!

1. Johann van Tonder says:

Don’t make assumptions on leniency. They seem quite serious about the matter. Let the process run it’s course and let’s see what happens.

33. chris says:

What a dumb comment, dude ive been in 1 accident where a bakkie pulled out ofhis drive way i was like less then a meter away i went into him ,luckly i never broke my neck, dont wish death on any person car or bike we are all human

34. Leanne says:

To all who have commented before : I drive a car & have spent quite a bit of time riding “pillion” in the past! I believe this journalist should be made to ride pillion with the craziest of the “biker boys” (I won’t mention names as many have now passed on – lots due to “4-wheel drivers”)! He wont have to control the bike – but will learn the hard way that many, many drivers on the roads do NOT adhere to road rules & are totally ignorant of bikers! Condolences to the family

35. Luke says:

I am a biker. I consider myself a god fearing Christian, who happens to enjoy biking. I also try to ride my bike in a decent and law abiding manner. That is not to say that the biking community is not at large decent and law abiding. We have our fair share of idiots. So too, does the motoring community. So too, does the media community, and you Mr Naidoo, are the king of the heap. It is my sincere wish that (1), you are fired, and never again work in this arena. (2) God fearing an Christian that I like to call myself, I will love to cross paths with you one day, and we will see precisely whose neck gets broken. Not only have you directly threatened my life, which by the way, is a criminal offence, you have in one foul mouthed little statement, managed to alienate the entire biking community. And don’t forget, many bikers are also motorists, which does more damage to the publication that you work for. A publication that, I would hope, is committed to promote matters such as road safety. And here is their star employee actively and publicly advocating death on the roads. As for the biking community, unfortunately, and as in any sector of society, we have a few bad apples in our midst. So, Mr Naidoo, if I were you, and this is not a threat, I would watch my back, because sure as God made little green apples, your turn will come.

36. Tm says:

In my humble opinion … Mr Naiaaadoes’s comment was unwarranted, he is apologising after the fact if he was sorry he would not have made that insensitive comment in the first place. As a motoring journalist does not mean exclusive to cars …. motors come in a range of different modes of transport hence the word “motoring”. I personally believe this man should be fired. If he had any balls he would resign. I wonder how many illegal drag races he has participated in……

37. Carl says:

Wishing someone to die????? Wow!!!

A motoring journalist wishing motorcyclist to die???? Wow!!!

Does the publications he is involved with subscribe to this???? If he is not dismissed immediately – DO NOT BUY THE PUBLICATIONS AGAIN!!!

Buy-the-way – I am a HUGE car and motorsport enthusiast and a biker for 40 years. My wife and daughter also rides their own bikes. He wants my wife and daughter dead??? Wow!!!

My sincere prayer: “God forgive me for entertaining bad thoughts towards this man. Forgive this man for what he has said as he does not know what he has done. Please keep my family and me , and all bikers safe and away from this man and others like him”

38. Gail Ross says:

This careless and juvenile comment is also an insult to those who live with spinal cord damage sustained by a broken neck. This has to be the worst injury to man kind and you should be fired for this.

39. Dave says:

best apology from you would be to get of the road and stay off. Its because of people like you and your mind set that get up motorcyclists noses. You so blind to your right of been on the road that you forget about the other uses, Do you drive a “taxi” as well. Your comment stinks of “pre-meditation”, think about it!!

40. Nats says:

Retard… How can you say something like that. No motorist or biker owns the road it’s called respect for one another!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a mother and My Boyfriend and I ride only on sundays for the sake of enjoying it. we normal people just like you Idiot… Who died and made you GOD????

you shall get your day and its comming!!!!

41. SHERYL says:

I read, with horror, about the insensitive comment you made concerning motor cyclists. By now, I am sure all South Africans and beyond have read about you.

I believe that your apologies are insufficient – may I suggest that the only way you might understand fully the emotional impact of your senseless words is if you commit yourself to a carefully researched community service for at least two months, on your off days from work, at the nearest state hospital to where you stay where you will fully see the magnitude of such accidents and how they impact on real people’s lives. Or perhaps volunteer to an accident scene cleanup team to see first-hand what you have wished on another.

I am now also wondering whether writing for the public is such a clever thing for you to do at all.

Any reply you do or do not send me will be published on Facebook where I saw your comments appear.

42. Glenda Hayward says:

Thegandra Naidoo …All I can say is that you should not be a motoring journalist. We in South Africa do not need anymore aggression or comments that fuel aggression. Apologies are so easy made, but the harm has already been laid.

1. DERRICK VENTER says:

An apology? I, personally would want to see him ride a motorcycle for a month as his only form of transport and experience first hand the stupidity, intolerance and hatred levelled at riders…In fact, this asshole should be given an ultimatum that until such time he has completed a full month as a rider he gets NO exposure for his work…dumb m…………r!

1. Stephen says:

“I, personally would want to see him ride a motorcycle for a month as his only form of transport” – great solution.

I don’t think he should lose his job and be barred from being a journalist, it could destroy his life from just one incredibly stupid comment. Perhaps he would change his view after riding for a month.

Apologies are only meaningful if they come before the shit hits the fan. He only apologized AFTER he got flack from work and the internet blew up on him, so I don’t trust it at all.

2. Doppies Kraftt says:

He sowed a seed in the mind of thousands of people, who might just carry out the threat he made against Bikers. Set that straight with them !! Proof in his actions that he is sorry. I can also write an apology, whilst giving the middle finger salute !!

3. Walter says:

Resign as he clearly advocated road rage as a viable option. Nobody, let alone a motoring journalist should promote such behaviour.

4. Ian Berry says:

His apology is merely to save his skin and his job. Such an arrogant comment leads me to believe that his apology is far from “heartfelt”.

43. Biker says:

I am a bike rider, and I want to say (not having read all the comments) that as a biker, I always ride with a few things on my mind. Firstly, I hate pain, I have no intention of doing physical harm to myself, and any damage to my bike will cost money, so I try avoid all those. I do lane split, I do get a little mif when some people in their cars purposely deny me to pass just because they have to sit in traffic. But lets be very clear, the obnoxious and arrogance doesnt originate or exist only in bikers you little prick. Motorists do drive like arseholes. But that being said, it take a prick like this to agitate, for no reason, as a public figure, comments like this, especially after a tragedy, should not go unpunished, and I dont mean a slap on the wrist. He has no regard for anything other than his self righteous view. The fact that he shot his mouth off is evidence of his attitude on the road toward bikers, and a “sincere” public apology is nothing more than hot air. Everyone who screws up, posts a public apology, and all is forgiven? I tell you now this little prick still feels the same way. A public apology following his obvious rant is a lie, and the norm for anyone who wants to save his skin, and anyone can do it, eg. ” I listen to Thegandra Naidoo daily and think his opinions are above all ” … see, a lie, anyone can do it. I would respect you more if you actually stuck to your opinion and not backtracked to avoid the backlash you didnt consider before shooting your dumbass mouth off. Oh and as for listening to this little prick, I do not even know who he is, and stumbled across this post, and decided to voice my opinion purely because he is now getting all the exposure. Did I use the term little prick too much?

44. nikie says:

Ur apology is just nt enough before u cn think of writing such crap think before u do n know tht these bikers have families n friends whom love them …u dnt deserve to b writing for the public with nut brain u have .ur day shall come

45. Paul Blinaux says:

1. Nizaam Karjieker says:

That’s a bit harsh don’t you think? So your logic is and please bear with me in this analogy. 1 comment made out of ignorance and misdirection deserved 100s more? No no, 1 life and all extensions are already destroyed. Vengeance is being directed at the wrong person now. He apologized, so I don’t think a public lynching is in order. Now the perpetrator that pulled the trigger….that’s a different story. Focus on him!

1. Nizaam Karjieker says:

We cannot fight fire with fire Eugene that’s all I am saying. We will know the full story in due time. The press is loving this biker vs car-driver feud! Don’t give them more to write about. On that day 2 lives are destroyed and the families and friends alongside them. Lets not destroy more. Surely if we believe that God is infinitely Merciful then we as human beings should show some Mercy ourselves!

2. Gavin Forman says:

Nizaam Karjieker, read thru the comments, you will find a comment with his FB he is hiding behind and still rambling on about it. His apology was fake. He got what he deserved, suspension by ABR. He is a public figure and he nailed himself. Social media is a public domain!
        Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

3. Nizaam Karjieker says:

I hear you Gavin, but like I said before. We moving away from the main focus. Road rage is a major problem in South Africa and in light of this incident emotions will flair up but lets not focus on 1 ignorant and unwarranted comment from somebody who was otherwise an unknown entity prior to such comment.

4. Gavin Forman says:

Hi Nizaam, I agree with you. But comments like that add to the road rage situation, he hosts a radio program, and some of his followers will think he made the right comment. Road rage is a serious issue, when I used to travel the freeways I used to suffer from road rage often. The main problem, people have forgotten the basic rules of life and road, manners, and if we can’t teach them those basics, it will never come right. Thanks Gavin.
        Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

5. Basil Jones says:

Nizam, all you are doing is trying to direct criticism from this idiot. HIS comment on Facebook IS what we’re discussing here, not the road rage incident. His apology is a typical lying scam designed to get himself off the hook he now realizes has caught him. Your ‘forgiving’ attitude is part of the problem in dealing with society’s antisocial nuts. They keep getting away with their comments and behavior since they believe they are untouchable. His karmic retribution is coming – just read what his boss has said and done.

46. Anton du Plessis says:

Unfortunately there are people out there that thinks they have a right to decide who gets to live. Yes there are reckless bikers out there, but they are by far the minority. However we all get brushed by the same comb. What would happen if all bikers start getting the same narrow minded opinions of motorists? Where would this end? People like this should get out of the tiny worlds they live in and start realizing there are others that makes this world a better place. How much money does bikers generate annually for charities around South Africa? I don’t think Thegandra Naidoo’s opinion should be voiced in a public domain.

47. GARY LEIGH says:

APOLOGY ACCEPTED, WE ALL SCREW UP AND IT TAKES A MAN TO APOLOGISE AND A MAN TO ACCEPT THE APOLOGY………..LEAVE IT AT THAT.

1. Paul Blinaux says:

One wonders whether you’re a Biker Gary…….and if this happened to yourself or someone close to you on a bike…..whether you’d be nonchalantly saying in CAPS……….”LEAVE IT AT THAT”

Clearly you’ve missed that gravity of this matter….maybe you’re of the same ilk as Thegandra Naidoo!!

2. Neville Geustyn says:

Rubbish, this person not only writes, but also has a radio show and such a person cannot say or write this type of rubbish. Us as bikers do and won’t accept this appology,

3. Anthony Treen says:

You are speaking as though you are speaking on mine and everybody else’s behalf. Who are you to tell me or the general public what we should leave or not leave alone? We are not your little children and you are not our daddy telling us to end a sibling squabble.

48. Joao says:

only one word to describe this asshole…….born a jealous fuck-up sooner or later he will face the music if i was him i would leave the planet wih a car door around his neck an appolidge doesnt work for any of us biker brothers !!

49. Adrienne Cichrane says:

The vast majority of bikers are responsible and courteous, and show far more regard for other road users than motorists do. I will always give way to bikers; the risks they run on our horrendous roads earns them that much. I have never witnessed any arrogance or bad behaviour from any biker, in all my years and thousands of kilometres driven in Africa. Now, cyclists! Another story altogether, especially in the Cape.

50. kneedraggers45 says:

Dear Mr. Naidoo,
    Thank you for your apology.
    Please now go and get your motorcycle license and buy yourself a bike. Ride it often and learn to love your bike and the joy that it brings you. Get to know the motorcycling community and experience the brotherhood that exists amongst us. Experience the pleasure of the open road, the thrill of cornering, the terror that cars bring and the sorrow when you hear of an unknown brother who has perished due to the ignorance and carelessness of a car driver.
    I look forward to reading what you have to say about that in 12 months time.

51. Yvonne says:

Mr Naidoo, and you are a motoring journalist…..You are totally unprofessional and should have been fired immediately. I am not even a biker and I find your comment absolutely disgusting and in extremely bad taste and definitely disrespectful. I actually don’t even have the words, I am so shocked and mad about your comment. I really hope you get fired.

52. lizette bezuidenhout says:

My husband died as a result of a bike accident and broke his neck. I’ve been a single mother of 2 little girls for 4 years now. I can’t even begin to describe how much this thoughtless comments from this asshole has hurt me to the core. Karma is a bitch and she will slap u when u least expect it

53. Gavin Forman says:

This dude is an IDIOT, less than ZERO IQ levels, there are a few of them around, including public figures. I’m sure they attended same school for IQless Idiots.
    I have read some of the comments and they are powerful messages and are accurate.
    Apologies and regrets often come too late. We all say and do things that we regret. We do apologise, but those apologies take time to comprehend and to be forgiven.
    Surely a Journalist has a code of ethics to promote road safety as opposed to promoting road rage and deaths?
    I agree the SAGMJ and his employer should take him to task as take stringent action.
    What he doesn’t realize is that most road rage incident are caused by motorists not motorcyclists. Motorists are the most selfish and rudest people on the roads. Is it such a sin to move over 2 inches to allow a motorcyclist through. 90% of motorcyclists are courteous to other motorists and thank the motorists.
    Unfortunately we are only hearing one side of the story and the motorcyclist who was shot cannot account for the events that led up to the argument. You will probably find the motorist cut him at some time, this is what they do and then act all innocent.

54. Tyrell says:

I agree that he should be fired from his position I would also never support anyone or any organization that supports him, Mr T. Naidoo should think before he says something extremely offensive as that , I to am a Biker a motorist ,Father ,Son and Husband of a working class family but none of these will exist if I don’t give myself time to reflect on exactly those roles that I play ,even when in a heated situation, I know easier said then done! but we need to realize this is real life?? not a movie?? the real question is are those closes to us so cheap we forget about them in a heated situation?? and Im talking about Road Rage in general not just this horror incident that took place on Friday morning , we all really need to stop thinking of what pleases just ourselves and think of those we or others LIVE for everyday, the fact is that person is no longer with us or his family to LIVE for his loved ones and that is very very sad my condolences to the family of Doug and may your soul rest in Peace brother, thank you

55. molly says:

you dont deserve that job any more Thegandra Naidoo, what the fuck…why so much hate…u dont deserve a neck either, even if you have personal issues who givs a fuck…who the hell are u anyway..u cant be a Motoring Journalist…where the hell r u from

56. Paul Blinaux says:

This post was placed by ABR this morning at 0900 on their Website by Graham Erasmus. I have written extensively on this matter including to all the relevant parties at ABR, stating my disgust at their Editor Thagandra Naidoo. I claim no credence whatsoever to their reaction….but congratulate them on removing any reference to Naidoo from ABR.

“…….It was with deep shock and regret that I discovered that one of our editors, Thegandra Naidoo, had made intemperate comments on his Facebook page. Whilst these comments were made after office hours and by Mr Naidoo in his personal capacity, and apparently in the heat of the moment, I simply cannot condone such behaviour and Mr Naidoo has been placed on leave of absence, with immediate notice.

Yours sincerely,

Graham Erasmus Publisher, Automotive Business Review Monday 17 February 2014 0900……….”

I sincerely hope that ABR have the wherewithal to remove Thegandra Naidoo permanently from his position as an Editor within their forum…….he may claim now that his outburst was merely in the heat of the moment, but that’s just trying to cover his sorry arse……he had a duty as a Motoring journalist to uphold the rights of every given road user! Naidoo failed dismally…….go away Thegandra Naaidoo…….you’re an embarrassment to your trade!

57. andrew parker says:

I have been riding motorcycles for over 40 years. I feel, to say the least, absolutely insulted by Thegandra Naidoo’s comments. As a former transport and motoring journalist, member of the South African Guild of Motoring Journalists and adjudicator of the South African Car of the Year Awards I find his comments completely out of line and tarnish not the only the reputation and image of the many professional journalists who are committed and dedicated to their craft but that of the Guild itself. Thegandra Naidoo should be sanctioned forthwith.

58. Disgruntled Biker says:

You can take your little piss-poor apology and shove it right up your f^%king chocolate starfish Dipshit!

I sincerely hope that someone agrees to meet with you, with a view to “solving this amicably” by using a baseball bat. In fact, on second thought, even that’s too good for the likes of you.

It’s idiots like you who undo all the good that the people at Thinkbike try to do… years of awareness campaigns etc. on their part are undone in mere seconds by the likes of you.

I pray that you will be shunned by your fellow motoring journos, that your family see you for the shallow, false individual that you are, and that your religious deities / beings / Gods / whatever, rain down upon your head a million times a million displeasures, curses and demons!

Out of all the sperm cells that your father unloaded, it is a pity that the one that created you was the winner (shakes head in dismay and disappointment)

Karma is a bitch, and I’m hoping that it catches up with you and your loved ones, in double-quick time. I hope your life from here on forwards is worth f-all or less

Now where’s the Mack truck on the highway when it’s needed? I’ll jump for joy when it squashes you from your worthless skin, like a grape being stood on

May your worthless crotch be infested by the fleas of ten thousand camels, and your fingers turn to fish-hooks!

1. John says:

Disgruntled biker , no need to be racist about this , his wrong and apologized. its over! why add unecessary comments and violence.

1. Disgruntled Biker says:

@ John…

First off… there was no mention of racism in my post. If you think the chocolate starfish is racist, then go and have a look at Urban Dictionary; it was a reference to his butthole.

Here is a link so that you may get the racism thing out of your system…

Personally I couldn’t give a damn about his colour… he could be blue, green or grey as well, for all I care.

What annoyed me is that he is, by abusing his position as a journalist who reaches many hundreds, if not thousands of readers, some of which are still very impressionable, undoing the work of fine organisations like Thinkbike, who are trying their damndest to make motorists aware of their shortcomings when it comes to awareness of bikers around them.

I’ll be the first to admit that some (many) bikers are assholes on the road, but there are many more who adhere to the rules of the road, and try to make a difference.

I ride bike, and I also drive a car. I am a lot more aware of other bikers around me, especially when I’m in my car. Before I make a U-turn, I make damned certain there are no bikers (or other vehicles for that matter) who may come to grief.

Before I pull away from a stop / yield sign, I make damned sure that there are no bikers whose lives I may endanger by my actions.

Before I change a lane, I check my blind spots, so that I don’t take out a biker who may be lane-splitting.

I guess what I’m trying to put across top you, and many other car-operators (not drivers, because drivers know what they’re doing when they’re behind the wheel), is that so many of this country’s so-called motorists either just don’t give a shit / they’re too stupid / too ignorant / too arrogant to think about bikers and how vulnerable they are. It’s far easier to blame the (very often dead) biker for the royal stuff-up that the motorist has caused

Do you have ANY idea how it feels to suddenly see a farking great front wheel on a truck suddenly approach from the adjacent lane, because the useless twatwaffle driving the truck is too stupid, too useless, too arrogant or too lazy to check his mirrors, or make himself aware of his surroundings before changing lanes. No…??? I thought not; I have had this experience, and it’s scary. One’s butt starts biting large chunks from the saddle, and where there aren’t any holes, the seat looks like a forest of mushrooms, raised by the clenching of one’s hole.

What happened to the “eye for an eye” principle?

Dufus openly incited violence by stating that he “cannot wait to open a door in front of a biker” causing him to fall and hopefully break his neck… all I did was respond with a fervent wish that something similar would befall him. Remember… ‘eye-for-an-eye’ comes into play.

He launched the attack… he must be prepared to face the consequences!

And while we’re on the subject… how would you, John, feel if I did your family some harm, and then apologised to you? I seriously doubt that you would stand up and say everything’s fine because I tendered an apology. Double standards maybe?

Chill dude and peace be with you!

2. Anthony Treen says:

Disgruntled Biker, your comment is entertaining because in some way you are guilty of exactly the same thing as T. Naidoo. You are wishing harm not just on him but also on his loved ones. T. Naidoo’s sin is that he has wished harm on a class of people that he does not know. How does it help to commit the same sin as him? (Haven’t ignored the other issue, but John has already mentioned it.)

1. Anthony Treen says:

I have just finished reading all the comments that have been made so far. (Please do not think that I was exonerating Thegundra in my previous comment because I most certainly was not).

You can not just excuse his words because they were rash and not properly thought through. His words reflect the thinking that has been ingrained in his mind for a long time. He can apologies as much as he likes but unless he can prove that his understanding of motorcycling has changed his apology can NEVER be trusted. It is nothing more than a ploy to save his career, and judging by some of the comments maybe his sorry little life.

I used to ride a bike about twenty years ago, up until I had a serious accident with a car. The car was 100% to blame. Outwardly I did not suffer that much damage but mentally I have never been the same since. (Mild brain trauma). My life has been far more difficult than it ought to have been thanks to the very careless actions of a motorist.

It is for this reason that I have been very interested in this subject today. I know just how important safety is for motorcyclists! Now I agree with just about every comment that has been made here that a real fuss should be made about Thegundra. He should be forced to look for employment in a field other than motoring! THERE SHOULD BE NO DEBATE NEEDED ABOUT THIS!

I do not agree that he should have ever possible evil visited upon him. (Although I think I understand some of the passion behind these comments). But he most certainly DOES NEED to be made an example of so that no one else is stupid enough to talk this way in the future, and hopefully is not stupid enough to THINK this way either!

For me one of the worst things that happened to our roads was when the “wise ones” who run the show decided to do away with Traffic Officers on motor bikes. It is from then onwards that I believe that they lost the battle to control the behaviour of road users. It has been since then that a culture of disregard for all other road users has become the norm. (South African roads never used to be like they are now because the Traffic Officers on their bikes were able to catch up with motorists and pull them over. I don’t see how this is possible when a traffic officer is in a motor vehicle and constrained by the traffic).

I have seen lately that they have re-introduced Traffic Officers on bikes but there are not enough of them, there needs to be a push for more Traffic Officers on bikes so that the new generation of motorists can be taught that inconsiderate and sloppy driving will eventually be punished, and hopefully in time the awful road culture that we have will eventually be replaced by a better culture.

Another thing that will be needed though is that each Traffic Officer is fitted with tamperproof recording equipment on him and his bike/car so that we can get them to do their jobs and remain honest at the same time.

Although I do not ride a bike I would love to live in a country where everything sensible was done to make it safe for motorcyclists again!

P.S Bikes are the answer to the Problem!

2. Disgruntled Biker says:

Anthony,

See above reply to John, with regard to the “eye-for-an-eye” principle.

I “reflected” the harm that Dufus wished on “a class of people” (your words) back to a class of people.

His action may take out my wife (yes, she also rides). He’d better pray to whosoever he believes helps / supports / comforts him, that he doesn’t cause her any bodily harm.

As for the “other issue” perhaps also have a look at Urban Dictionary… the link is in my reply to John

Peace to you…

59. John says:

No one is worried about Oscar and murdering innocent being , but worried about this empty vessel comments. He needs help but lay off the racism. this is what Madida fought for all these years. Respect comes where it comes from.

60. George says:

I fully agree with John’s comment above.I have been a biker for over 3 years now, and while i find it rather appalling that a motoring journalist can make such an crass comment, do we not believe in freedom of speech anymore? I thought facebook was a medium to express your emotions? ffs people, a few words shared on the internet should not condemn a man for life, or force him to loose his damn job. Were bikers not barbarians.

1. Disgruntled Biker says:

George,

Freedom of speech is one thing, open incitement another. In my eyes, this equates to the “Kill The Boer” song, popular among some of the wannabe politicians or aspiring politicians.

Why, if Freedom-of-speech is entrenched in the constitution, do you think the above-mentioned politicals were warned by the courts to refrain therefrom? Hate speech maybe…???

It could be argued in court that this Dufus’ utterance is pre-meditated murder; think about it…

I sit in traffic every day, watching my mirror, eagerly waiting for you to come “flying past”, and suddenly open my door. Pre-meditated? I believe so.

By definition

LINK: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/premeditated

pre·med·i·tat·ed (prē-mĕd′ĭ-tā′tĭd)
      adj.
      Characterized by deliberate purpose, previous consideration, and some degree of planning

A few words shared on the internet…
      UNQUOTE

Scenario for you…

He will sit in his car and do nothing for a while, then suddenly frustration, brought about by severe traffic / a number of bikers passing by, lane-splitting / some other stress brought on by family strife / who knows what else? and he cracks and does what he said he would…

I sincerely hope it is not me or my wife, or for that matter you, who I’ve never met, or any other biker out there, who get injured, or worse, killed.

I’ve said enough…

Safe riding, fellow biker, and may we be spared from the idiots like Dufus while on the roads

61. Dhevan says:

its people like him that give the biking community a bad name. you need to know the whole story before publishing your stupid comments. as a south African indian biker I am totally livid with his stupid remarks. just remember you have planted a seed in the bikers brain of your proposed actions. if for any reason anything happens to any biker be it your fault or not we the biker community will make sure you pay dearly for it by the law. this will be a pre-meditated murder, assault or whatever the case may be. so you apologised good for you, it means nothing. get a life…..

62. Paul Blinaux says:

i agree with you John on the ‘racism’ angle…..Thegandra Naidoo wasn’t being racist when he posted his inane thoughts…….he was behaving like a complete and utter arse-hole! But let’s face facts…just stating that he’s apologised and now lets all just move on…..Disgruntled Biker has a very valid point….ThinkBike have been trying for years to eradicate this kind of mind set……Naidoo managed in seconds to do insurmountable damage to a really good cause!!

Thegandra Naidoo needs to be be severely sanctioned in the harshest terms for his apparent outburst in the heat of the moment!

1. Disgruntled Biker says:

Thanks Paul, for the support.

See my reply to John about the racism angle… there was none intended from my side.

The definition was not understood by some…

Cheers

63. Paul Blinaux says:

George….did you actually for one second read what you wrote before you posted your thoughts?

Your comment “…..ffs people, a few words shared on the internet should not condemn a man for life, or force him to loose his damn job!”

Let’s get one thing straight….this is what Naidoo posted: “….‘I don’t blame the guy that shot the motorcyclist. They are obnoxious and arrogant. I cannot wait for my day to come when I will open my door and a motorcyclist will fly off his bike and hopefully break his neck!”

And you nebulously make a comment of “….Were bikers not barbarians.”

All I can say is……thank f*#+k I don’t ride with you, as your comments clearly condone his thinking!!

1. George says:

I dont for 1 second condone what he said. But i do believe you can write what ever the hell you want on your own damn facebook page.

2. Andre says:

Should i ever stumble across this idiot arseholes path I will gladly run him off the road so we can have a serious discussion about the value of a life. We take biking seriously. There are also many many of us. Keep your windows up poepol and look around. You are a marked doos.

64. Sharon says:

As someone who lost her husband and the father of my four children, in a motorbike accident, where no one was to blame, I sencerely hope this man never gets to write another write motoring review….

65. Gavin Forman says:

Dear John, and PP and your cronies that approve of the journalists actions and comments, these imbeciles don’t no how to comment , they angry and frustrated inbreeds! 1stly you obviously don’t know the biker community, well i’m sure you will get to know them with your insults shown above, inbreeds, LMFAO, they do more for the communities in country than anyone like you and this IQless Idiot. you obviously don’t have an idea what an inbred is, take a careful look in the mirror, and yes i grew up in Germiston and there is nothing wrong with me.and my family and i was a biker for many years. you need to be brave enough to come through to the E-Tall protest run on Saturday the 22nd in Rooderpoort and stand on the stage and repeat your insults together with the IQLess Idiot
    DHEVAN, thank you for adding your comment, the worldwide bikers community does not only consist of white motorcyclists races and creeds. so John and company think about it of reverse racism by insulting the worldwide bikers community.
    just as the IQless Idiot apologised i think you and your cronies owe the enitre bikers community an apology.

Congratulations to ABR for taking such prompt action towards him. he does not belong in the motoring journalism community, they are supposed to promote road safety rather than road rage.
    yes we all make mistakes and say things that we don’t mean, but that comment was totally outrages and dangerous towards society as a whole.

the same thing happened with Vusi Mona from SANRAL, insulted society as a whole with his “raise your IQ” comment. he also went into hiding. well fortunately he is still there and still causing more damage to SANRAL.

BIKERS of all creeds, colors and stature in life have always and will always stand together as a united front, unlike motorists who do the exact opposite, they will rather take each other than stand together. you are probably a motorist in a fancy car, that does not have respect anyone, not even yourself.

1. John says:

U missing the point Gavin. If you want to be racist you must be able to take it. I am white and I dont feel the need for anyone to be making racial comments. He apologized , whats with all the violence and threats? shouldnt we all be living life , there is enough crime already in this country. I am a bike myself so how can I not have an IQ??

1. John says:

By your arrogant approach it clearly shows that you promote racial abuse! #quitesad. Its a democratic crisis.
        If anyone felt offended , thats my bad, but as you can see some honest and decent people agreed with me.
        Just FYI Gavin , I am electrical engineer so my IQ is pretty good I tell you that. #Endofconversation!

2. Gavin Forman says:

This has nothing to do with racism. And no I’m not a racist, you insulted me again, use your electrical engineering IQ and think before you insult people #quitesad. This has to do with the fact that you implied that I am an in breed together with 1000’s of other people. You just assume everyone is racist cause they don’t agree with you and your views. Even if it was a white journalist he would have got the same response, perhaps even worse from the people. Look what happened to Darren Scott. I do not want to argue with you. Are you going to the e-toll protest on saturday, we can perhaps shake hands and stand together against e-tolls? Kind regards, Gavin #endofconversation
        Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

3. Gavin Forman says:

Hi John, what point? I am also a white citizen of this country and a ex biker. So race is not an issue. You have not only insulted the bikers community but the non bikers community as well with your irresponsible comments. They are as bad as Naidoo’s was. BTW – even the Indian bike riders are looking for him, not just the white riders. I think the same as him you need to apologise to the people for your comments and insults.
        Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

1. Paul Blinaux says:

Well his own Facebook site has disappeared….and he’s not taking calls on 071 867 8141…..so perhaps he’s run off to get his number changed!!

66. Dee-Jay Striker says:

Clearly this guy made a huge mistake saying what he did and I’m100% sure that he will think twice about saying something stupid like that again concidering the fact that his career could be over. I am deeply disappointed by his remarks but we are not making it better by saying nasty things about him. Yes if I see him in the street I will probably klap him for saying what he did but does it make us better than him by saying what we did? I am a biker and I rebuke that remark for my Lord will call for me when he wants me to come home. No man has the power to determine someone else’s destiny. Mr thegandra Naidoo, I truly hope you’ve learnt your lesson here and I hope that your apology is genuine as there are a lot of people that thinks diferently. Now go and change your mindset before it gets changed for you, a friendly warning!

1. Paul Blinaux says:

I think Dee-Jay that firstly his apology only happened when he realised his job was on the line and his fellow Motoring journalists started slamming him and distancing themselves from him as fast as possible!!

I think we all realise that Thegandra Naidoo…is inevitably going to get a hiding second to none from someone down the line if he ever shows up at any Motorsport or Biking scenario again!!

Sadly, I think Naidoo is arrogant enough to believe that having made his pathetic empty apology he can just carry on where he left off!! And won’t heed your friendly warning!

There are a lot of very angry Bikers out there right now over his comment!!

67. John says:

angry bikers should be gunning the moron(motorist) who shot the poor biker. my heart goes out to him and his family! who gives a shit about this prick Thekuntra!

1. Paul Blinaux says:

The motorist was arrested and was due to appear in court this am in the Roodepoort Magistrates Court. Hopefully he will be named and duly named and shamed accordingly!!

68. Sean Gerber says:

I trust you gentlemen have taken your time to read the original dialogue and the posts prior to Mr Naidoo making his outrageous comment? We all agree, it is a stupid comment but I believe that it has been completely misinterpreted. I personally don’t believe that Mr Naidoo intended to kill bikers.

In his earlier comments on Peter Piegl’s Facebook wall, he mentioned that Motorists and bikers both need to behave on our roads to prevent further cases or road rage and accidents. I think that is a sensible comment.

However, I believe that his last statement was said in anger. Seach for Peter Piegl on Facebook and the read the entire post. It will open your eyes to a completely different view of the story.

For what it’s worth, I accept Mr Naidoo’s apology. I am sure his apology is worth something and, hopefully, we can all learn to forgive and forget.

1. Peter Piegl says:

Actually Sean, you’re wrong. While Thegandra’s comments are no longer on my page as he’s deleted or suspended his account, his initial comment was the one you’ve all seen. I have snapshot on my phone to prove it. It shows clearly where – in terms of the timeline – his statement fits in. Should this not be sufficient, please feel free to ask anyone who responded to his comment to bear you out or prove you wrong.

His follow-up about all motorists and bikers needing to be sensible was in response to the public outcry.

I’m frankly surprised that you, who claim to have read the entire thread, have managed to get your facts so utterly incorrect.

69. Paul Blinaux says:

This Sean Gerber was the statement made by Thegandra Naidoo……‘I don’t blame the guy that shot the motorcyclist. They are obnoxious and arrogant. I cannot wait for my day to come when I will open my door and a motorcyclist will fly off his bike and hopefully break his neck!’

You state….”I believe that it has been completely misinterpreted. I personally don’t believe that Mr Naidoo intended to kill bikers” ……you’re absolutely correct, what he was saying is that it’s cool to open your door when you see an oncoming biker in your rear view mirror…injure them, cripple them, break their necks……but yes you’re correct Naidoo didn’t say ‘kill’ them!!

The bottom line here is that Naidoo made a completely irresponsible and down right atrocious comment….regardless whether it was in anger as he now claims! He made it in a public forum as a Motoring Journalist!! That is completely unacceptable!!

70. Paul Blinaux says:

This comment was posted by John earlier….”John February 17, 2014 at 12:47 pm
    Angry bikers should be gunning the moron(motorist) who shot the poor biker. My heart goes out to him and his family! Who gives a shit about this prick.”

Interestingly….the individual is one Meekahefele Masooa, 43, who lives in Centurion and is out on R5 000 bail……claimed he shot in self defence, but it has come to light that in fact Masooa shot Douglas Pearce whilst he was walking away from him.

Hopefully on the 25th April 2014 when the case returns to court….Bikers will go in their 1 000’s to show their support for Bikers all over South Africa…..sadly Douglas Pearce will not be there to defend himself.

Masooa claimed in court this morning that he had been shot and as such was defending himself….this was found to be an outright lie on the part of the court and was dismissed as false….as all he had suffered was abrasions.

Further to that, Masooa has been arrested previously for pointing a weapon at someone….and Naidoo states ….”I don’t blame the guy that shot the motorcyclist”…….try figure that train of thought!!

71. Kathy says:

We have a business that needs to advertise and at times we have considered advertising in the ABR Automotive magazine. Thankfully we never did advertise there because as long as that journalist works for them I will make sure we never , ever advertise in their magazine. To make such a remark is just plain pathetic.

72. David says:

I will not be supporting a publication that would even consider having someone that has no respect for the users of roads. I do not wish to begrudge anyone to opportunity to make money and to have a job, but I can not allow myself nor my kids to be influenced by any writer or person who has a voice to make a difference. It was blind arrogance that his letter was written and so in just so will be his justice I am sure.

73. Gert says:

Thegandra my China, oh so sorry that sounds a bit racist and all. Let me be of some assitance. As a biker, I feel for you. Not that infrequent do I wish death upon motorists, especially those on cell phones. Which is why there is none of that “Think Bike” nonsense for me. I “Think Car” every single moment I am in the traffic. Now granted, I drive in Cape Town, where motorists’ intentions are much clearer (and slower) than those of those in Jo’burg. So Thegandra, I want to make a suggestion. Seems as if you are soon going to look for another job. Come to Cape Town. We do not believe in lynching, we might say “jou ma se p&$@” if you do not indicate, but mostly we forget it as quick as one can say e-toll. When you are here, contact me, and I will take you for a (your first ever?) spin, and soon all your Jozi troubles when you realise that bikers, as a rule, already know when a doos is going to change lanes without indicating, or is going to open a door long before the spirochetes which connect their two brain cells has sprung into action. Because the “Think Bike” slogan is a waste on most motorists.

74. Peter Piegl says:

Friends – on the matter of ABR, I feel that it’s unjustified that they should suffer undue prejudice as a result of the action of their editor. Having been in the media for 17 years, I’m fully aware of the fact that your staff can, at times, act negligently and that this sadly reflects back on your publication.

We need to bear in mind that the publisher immediately issued a response, in no way condoning the actions of his editor, and is seeking to take action. Please allow him the opportunity to do so. His own daughter and son-in-law are bikers so rest assured he’ll do the right thing.

75. Danie Roodt says:

Talking about forgiveness and tolerance and still Mr. Naidoo’s apology heartfelt or not is not accepted. Is then also what we as the biker community need to advocate. I agree that it was totally uncalled for and insensitive, but there should be caution exercised by all when making themselves out as the judges and executioners of ignorant people who make statements like this. I accept your apology Mr. Naidoo as a tolerant and forgiving human being.

And for the haters and lynch mobs… tread on the lighter side of caution my friends not all cagers are so ignorant.

76. Boet Joubert says:

Hi to All. I have read the comments above with disgust and deep sorrow in my heart. I will as of this moment boycott ABS and the editor in question. Money is the only thing that talks so let us see how many feel strong enough to do something meaningful or are the comments above only idle chatter. The editor in question may find work with the EFF

77. Allan de Jager says:

And your wishlist came true after all, sadly not the way you thought.One thing that you did not think about is that most of the biker community is all so vehicle drivers with families to ride around so most of the time Dad uses the bike so that his family can be safe in car with Mom because that is what they can afford .did you think about that before you made you stupid statement I think it is going to be a long and hard way forward for you. Unfortunately there will be no easy forgiving from us Bikers